The Niskayuna Fire Company was organized in 1942 after several serious fires in the community drew attention to the need for fire protection in the southeast hamlet of the Town of Niskayuna near what is now the border with the Town of Colonie.  Niskayuna Fire Company Inc. was first formally recognized by the Firemen’s Association of the State of New York in April of 1943. 

In March of 1943, the Niskayuna Fire Company purchased its first fire engine, a 1939 Chevrolet, for $280.00.  The engine was housed in a garage on Troy Road, near what is currently Vly Pointe, owned by Fire Chief Harold King.  By 1948, the Niskayuna Fire Company had constructed its first fire station on Rosendale Road and acquired a 1948 Ford fire engine growing from one apparatus to two. 

In 1953, Fire Chief Tom Duck relieved Past Chief Harold King and construction began on a new fire station located on Troy-Schenectady Road.  This station became the permanent home of the Niskayuna Fire Company and continues to be the property of Niskayuna Fire District 2 to this day. 

Through the 1960’s and the 1970’s, the Town of Niskayuna continued to grow and the Niskayuna Fire Company expanded as a result to meet the needs of Town residents.  The Niskayuna purchased a 1961 Ward Lafrance and a 1966 Ford Stanford fire engine bringing increased pumping power and increased water tank capacity to the town.  Also in the 1970’s, the Niskayuna Fire Company began responding to Emergency Medical calls that were then known as “Oxygen Calls.”  

By the late 1970’s the Niskayuna Fire Company purchased a 1977 American Lafrance fire engine.  This both expanded our apparatus to three and was the first fire engine painted in the yellow color that our apparatus wear to this day.

The Niskayuna Fire Company continued to grow with the increased needs of the Town through the 1980’s and 1990’s.  The Fire Company acquired a 1985 GMC E-One rescue truck which became the Department’s first dedicated Emergency Medical Services unit.  The Fire Company also acquired its first Airboat in 1986 bringing critical rescue capability to residents along the section of the Mohawk River that passes through the Fire District.  

In 1993, the Niskayuna Fire Company had outgrown its fire station from 1953 and built the station that we currently reside in today.  The Niskayuna Fire Company also purchased its first Heavy Rescue apparatus in 1995 where we expanded to the capability that we have maintained to this day including two fire engines, one heavy rescue truck, a dedicated EMS truck, and a rescue airboat.  

 Apparatus Through the Years

1939 Chevrolet Fire Engine
1948 Ford Fire Engine by Ribley and Harpinger
1961 Ward LaFrance Fire Engine
1966 Ford Stanford Fire Engine
1977 American LaFrance Fire Engine
1985 GMC E-One Rescue Truck
1986 Pierce Dash Fire Engine
1986 Yankee Airboat
1991 Yankee Airboat
1995 Pierce Heavy Rescue
1999 Pierce Quantum Fire Engine
2007 Pierce Quantum Fire Engine
2016 Chevrolet 2500 Duramax with SpaceKap
2021 Pierce Quantum Heavy Rescue
2022 Diamondback Airboat

Niskayuna Fire District 2 Past Chiefs

1942-1952 – Harold King
1953-1954 – Tom Duck
1955-1956 – Elmer Yager
1957-1958 – Malcom Kurth
1959-1962 – Warren Gager
1963-1968 – Charles “Chuck” Bechtoldt
1969 – Bill Crounse
1970-1974 – Jan Herrgesell
1975-1976 – Pasquale “Pat” Serafino
1977-1980 – Donald Miller
1981-1983 – Bill Popowich
1984-1985 – Donald Miller
1986-1988 – Charles Friderici
1989-1990 – John Ford
1991-1994 – Charles Friderici
1995-1998 – LeRoy “Bud” Wyman III
1999-2000 – Robert Waterfield
2001-2003 – LeRoy “Bud” Wyman III
2004-2009 – Jon Herrgesell
2010-2013 – Sean Muldowney
2014-2016 – Charles Friderici
2017-2020 – Christopher Nobes
2021-2023 – Joshua Wyman
2024-Present – Gerry Barbiero